One of the most well know eateries in Branford has a somewhat notorious past. Now known as Lenny’s Indian Head Inn, the establishment was opened in 1939 by Thomas J. and Katherine Fitzgerald. Their restaurant and tavern at South Montowese Street in Indian Neck served a shoreline menu and soon became a gathering place for the night crowd. The original Fitzgerald’s Tavern was across the street from the present site; when it moved, it officially became known as the Indian Head Inn. Despite being crippled from polio at the age of seven, Thomas Fitzgerald tended the bar until his retirement in 1966.